Around two million adults in the UK require informal care. One in four older female adults and one in eight older male adults care for an aging family member. But it is incredibly challenging to balance a career while adequately caring for your loved one.
To offset the stress and get assistance, many families turn to live-in caregivers as a personal solution for providing quality care for their family member with home care needs. If you are considering hiring a live-in caregiver, you’ll want to read our guide.
What is Live-in Care?
Live-in care is hiring a paid professional to reside with the person who needs assistance. People who often need live-in care are elderly, special needs, or very sick individuals. Families often provide live-in care to their family members, but when the burden becomes too great, they hire a professional to assist.
Live-in Care is different from 24-hour care. Generally, 24-hour care is a facility that provides 24-hour on-duty care where a live-in caregiver is allowed to sleep during the night.
What does a Live-in Caregiver Do?
A live-in caregiver assists an individual by:
- Providing companionship and social interaction.
- Assisting with Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) such as eating, bathing, and mobility.
- Managing medication.
- Preparing meals.
- Running errands and shopping.
- Transporting to appointments and social engagements.
- Communicating with the family and medical professionals.
- Supervising those with dementia that may need more attentive care.
Benefits of Having a Live-in Caregiver
Live-in caregivers offer the peace of mind that professional is with the individual in need day and night. It allows the person who needs the care to remain in their own home and create their own schedule. Other significant benefits include:
- Costs less than 24-hour care.
- Reduces anxiety because the same caregiver is there consistently.
- Creates better communication because the family and the caregiver are focused on a single individual.
- Promotes stronger bonding between the individual and the live-in caregiver.
How much does a Live-in Caregiver Cost?
The price for a live-in caregiver can vary depending on where you live. Different areas have different rules about how to pay live-in caregivers. This can be an hourly wage, a flat daily rate, or a compromise because you will be providing room and board.
If you hire your live-in caregiver privately, then you’ll set the terms and conditions of payment. In addition to room & board, food, and transportation costs, the family will also need to provide a wage. The family will also need to set up payroll, worker’s compensation, insurance, and taxes, which can incur additional costs.
If you use an agency, they generally provide a standard pay rate. The average monthly range for live-in care can be between $1,000 to $5,000.
How to Find a Live-in Caregiver
There are many ways to find a live-in caregiver:
The family can choose to find an independent live-in caregiver through referral websites, classifieds, public senior agencies, or personal referrals. The family will also be responsible for screening, interviewing, and vetting the caregivers to find someone suitable for their situation. Daily flat rates range between $100-$300.
Home Care Agencies
Home Care Agencies are specialized agencies that understand all the nuances and rules of live-in caregivers. They offer a variety of home care options to customize a solution for your needs.
They hire and vet all employees to meet high safety and professional standards. The agency also handles payroll, benefits, taxes, and expenses and can fill in when your caregiver needs time off. Daily flat rates range between $300-$500.
Are you in need of a live-in caregiver? Contact Champa Caregivers , a full-service home care agency that provides local, professional caregivers for personal in-home care in the United Kingdom.
Related Link: How Covid-19 Will Shape The Future Of Senior Living
Referral agencies act as a middle man for helping families find qualified caregivers. The family will still be the employer. The referral agency merely validates if the individuals are trained, screened, and legal to work. They can provide resources on how to be compliant and legal as a caregiver employer. Daily flat rates range between $200-$400.
Vetting Your Live-in Caregiver to Protect Your Loved One
However you chose to hire your caregiver, you will need to follow several precautionary measures to ensure you loved one is safe with the live-in caregiver:
- Conduct a criminal background check. You’ll need to conduct a Live Scan or if they have been Live Scanned. Live Scan runs their fingerprint through federal and county systems to ensure their background is clean.
- Ensure they have a valid driver’s license. You can check for DUI’s and any violations or suspensions.
- Set up auto, worker’s compensation, and liability insurance. This protects your family and loved one from negligence, damages, or if the caregiver is injured on the job. All of these insurance policies protect against litigation.
- Set up a fidelity bond. Fidelity bonds protect against fraud, embezzlement, theft, or financial mismanagement.
Provide a Detailed Care Plan
Once you’ve hired a live-in caregiver, you’ll want to create a detailed care plan to establish expectations, schedules, preferences, and routines. If you choose to use a home care agency’s care manager, they will create a care plan that you can customize with them.
What to Include in a Care Plan:
- A brief history
- Medical conditions
- Personal appliances and equipment
- Dietary restrictions, preference, and allergies
- Activities for Daily Living (ADLs)
- Transfers that require assistance
- Schedules, routines, and personal preferences
- Pet care
- Home maintenance schedule
- Home security details
- Loved one’s monthly activities
- Allowance for shopping, errands, and petty cash.
- Housekeeping tasks
- Behavioral expectations and house rules
- Emergency contact list
- Utility service providers list
You can customize this list to your loved one and their caregiving needs.
Live-in Caregivers are an Excellent Alternative to 24-Hour Care
Besides being significantly less expensive, live-in caregivers can provide personal, daily care of your loved one and relieve the family’s stress. Live-in caregivers provide the peace of mind that your loved one is properly cared for and safe every day.
Champa Caregivers is a national provider of home care services in the United Kingdom. Champa Caregivers offers a variety of affordable home care services that can be customized to fit your schedule. They specialize in caring for individuals with chronic conditions like Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, or dementia.
Are you the primary caregiver for your loved one and need assistance? Champa Caregivers can help for a few hours, days, or as a longer-term solution.
Related Link: Seniors Aging At Home: A Live-In Caregiver